We have a huge problem in this country.
18 YEAR OLDS GETTING FAT!
But seriously, I know so many individuals that have told me they gain upwards of 15 lbs after their first year of college. And it didn’t matter if they stayed at home or traveled across the country, they were putting on pounds. Now the question is why?
No home cooked meals by mom?
Too much alcohol??!
There are a bunch of possible reasons to why this may have happened, but that’s a discussion for another post. Here is my template to reverse the dreaded freshman 15. Hell you may get the freshman 15 I got (I lost 15 lbs of fat)!
This is a lifestyle template, no a quick fix. Quick fixes are a bunch of bullshit. You actually have to change if you want change. This is a simple system that points at the simple do’s and don’ts to getting rid of that excess body fat. The system is based on 5 aspects: Mindset, sleep, diet, exercise, and stress.
Let me not bore you any longer, here is The Freshman 15 Cure!
THE FRESHMAN 15 CURE
Most people would expect me to start with exercise or nutrition…NOPE! Going to start if off with something even more powerful. Mindset. You are smart enough to make it to college, you can do this easily. You honestly must make your health a priority if you want to succeed. Don’t say, I don’t have time…MAKE TIME!
Sleep. Go to fucking sleep! Okay you wanna party Friday night with the frats, go ahead. But Partying all weekend, and then staying up all week to study is the perfect way to get fat fast. Going to bed at 2am and waking up to make your 8am 101 class will surely disrupt your hormones. You need at least 9 hours of sleep! I don’t care what you say about time, make time to get your ass to be.
- Take your ass to bed on time at least 5 days of the weeks
- Eat something rich in natural fat to help induce deep sleep
- Wake up without an alarm whenever possible
- Stay up watching stupid ass Snookie on t.v. (who gives a fuck!)
- Eat sweets that will stimulate you and impede your sleep
- Spend hours upon hours on social media sites (facebook, twitter, tumblr, instagram….myspace anyone?)
Everyone’s favorite, Snack Time! Don’t get so lost in life and studying to where you just start eating shit because you’re bored. Really? Do not bring the cookies to the house/apartment/dorm. You do not need candy or chips, or whatever else kinda junk is out there. Be smart. Not even smart, just use common sense. Fat free candy is sugar loaded gut busting candy. All natural sprite is still soda! Check out this blog for help buying groceries.
- Eat real food, plants and animals. A teddy graham is not an animal.
- Eat at least 3 of these nutritionally dense meals
- Eat more…yeah I said it MORE
- Waste your money buying junk…that’s just a given
- Be fooled by labels, read the ingredients
- Consume drink at every freaking party you go to
Exercise is NOT necessary for fat lose…BUT you can speed up your process by doing smart exercise, not more. For example, people believe that jogging will help them lose fat, but it doesn’t. Skip out the jogging, it might make you fatter! A little exercise goes a long way if done correctly.
- Walk to class whenever you can
- Lift heavy or do bodyweight exercise twice a week for 20-30 mins (only 60 min max out of 168 hours of the week)
- Don’t forget to stretch, sitting in class all day will destroy your posture…unless it’s yoga class
- Jog for health. If you honestly enjoy it, then go for it
- Workout for multiple hours on end, it will just deplete you
- Be lazy….really you can spend 20 minutes 2 times a week to workout
Final step to The Freshman 15 Cure is stress. Stress is evident in everyone’s life, but it is exceptionally high for college students. Stress over school, money, relationships, sports, status….name it, it’s a stressor. Now I’m not saying you need to travel across the globe and become a monk, but you need to reduce stress to lose any kind of weight off your body. Stress will make you fat and sick.
- Relax, it’s just college =)
- Meditate. It’s not hard, just turn everything off, shut up, and breath
- Take study breaks; work for 45 minutes, relax for 15
- Cram all your studying at one time, not only will you stress yourself out, but you will lose sleep
- Put yourself in unnecessarily stressful situations…be smart
- Save the drama for yo mama…but for reals, eliminate the stupid stuff
All these together will help you get your sexy back. Don’t overwhelm yourself. Start small, or choose one aspect to focus on. Once you master that, work your way up. Keep improving, and makes notes. Remember, it’s all about changing your mind first!
There you have it. The Freshman 15 Cure. Let me know how this works for you. If you need any help, contact me.
Remember that Action is the foundation to success. So it’s great that you read, but it’s what you do with it that counts!